
I received 4 hanks of Dos, a 2 ply fingering weight yarn suitable for socks, garments, lace and a myriad of other projects.
2 hanks were semi solid, in a lovely olive color.

The other 2 were multi colored, like their Aquarella line. The combination of colors creates a watercolored effect with no harsh color changes or pooling.

While the colors were very pleasing, I was eager to find out how Dos would feel. Anyone familiar with Malabrigo is used to the lofty softness of the single ply worsted. I was concerned that plying would diminish the softness of the yarn and render it less pleasing to the touch. I could not have been more wrong. The hanks had a full, bouncy feel. Squishy is the best word to describe it. I chose to wind all four hanks by hand. I did not encounter any knots or breaks in the yarn. As you can see, Dos has ample twist which makes it springy.
(Size one being my preferred needle size for knitting socks)

The resulting fabric was soft and and stretchy. I tossed my swatch into a warm bath in the sink. After a 15 minute soak with minimal agitation, the water showed no color change. With gentle blocking and drying, my gauge remained the same.

Since I don't mind handwashing, I cast on a pair of socks in the multi-colored yarn. These knit up beautifully. I gave them the same warm water-no agitation bath. This time in the wash I noticed the water was cloudy, but no hint of dye was released.



With Dos, the stitch definition is lovely. My stitches remained crisply defined even after their warm bath. Combine great stitch definition with softly blended colors and you end up with a very versatile sock yarn. The muted color changes lend visual interest to plain stockinette or ribbed socks, yet are discreet enough not to distract from complicated lace patterns.
Overall, I could not have been happier with my experience with Dos. Once released, it will be available in generous 320 yard hanks. One of the reasons Malabrigo is so popular is their amazing use of color. I can not wait to see the shades offered for this yarn when it is made available later this year along with a couple other new lines including a superwash sock yarn which I am assured will be as soft as, if not softer than, Dos. I will definitely be standing in line for more of this!









1 comment:
When did you finish the socks?
Post a Comment